Sunday, March 16, 2008

yesterday's "review": field trip part II

I can see now that the summary of my field trip from yesterday was more of a rant and didn't really include everything I wanted to include. Later on today I hope to add onto to this post and touch on some of the more positive things about the church.

I also want be more specific about the sermon, general style of the service and also throw out some random questions that I have as a result of attending the service.

***

+ The music was wonderful.
+ I liked the way they encouraged people to submit themselves to God.
+ I liked the way they had a time where people could just pray for each other, pray for themselves, or hell, just zone out for awhile while the band played on
-didn't like the pastor accusing women who have suffered abuse of not "putting themselves back out there" and then in the same sentence said "and men, there are no failures among you, no matter what anyone says". It was probably an accident but it was weird as hell and and the accidental implication was terrible.
-didn't like getting kicked out of the pew by blonde lady
-didn't being told I was going to hell and that God's mercy is going to run out
-didn't like the scare tactics in general
+the church will volunteer at Capital Lakefair
-the church wants to take over Capital Lakefair and was already coaching the congregation how to behave toward the "unsaved"
- all "prophesies" of leadership were over men
+the pastor said God will bring peace, and joy
-the pastor accused some poor man of adultery in the middle of the sermon
-the pastor in general seemed very scary
+free fancy coffee
-gave up coffee for Lent so didn't drink any

That about sums it up. What a multimedia extravaganza! As someone who feels God's love so strongly most of the time even to the point of taking it for granted, it was weird to be reminded of hell and brimstone and all the rest. It made me thankful that my church is focus more on God's love and forgiveness. Damn though, they sure can sing.

No comments: