Monday, March 3, 2008

an "attitude" of prayer

So one other thing I did yesterday that I didn't blog about was attend a potluck put on by the youth group from my church for the homeless group that I work with. It was really a neat event. I like how laid back and at ease the kids are with the residents--its clear that over time this youth group (through different events) has developed a very positive relationship with the residents.

Anyway before we ate together, one of the youth led the thanksgiving prayer. It was a simple, well worded prayer of thanksgiving. But what struck me was what he said right before he prayed. Everyone had been laughing and smiling, talking to each other in a big circle. Then the leader asked this student to pray and the student immediately wiped the smile off of his face, coughed a bit and very seriously said, "ok everyone, let's enter an attitude of prayer".

Apparently entering an "attitude of prayer" means standing soberly unsmiling in serious contemplation of God or whatnot. It was just kind of funny. I never really noticed it before, but thats always what happens when we pray. Its like, oh, well, we were having a grand ole time but now its time to get serious and talk to our solemn God. I'm so thankful to that kid for giving words to this humorous practice.

I'm not saying we shouldn't feel awe respect humility whatever toward God, I just think its funny that often the way we pray seems to indicate that God is a prude who would be highly offended should one of us still be smiling and/or otherwise enjoying ourselves by the third word of the prayer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good point, I hadn't thought about this.

The meaning of the phrase that I can get behind is that people shouldn't talk over the person praying. They should focus on the prayer, not on other life concerns for just a moment.

However, I'm all in favor of laughing and joking when talking to God!

Maria said...

I agree. I'm definitely not arguing for some kind of beach party, it was just pretty funny the way everyone instantaneously sobered up.

I thought more about this since i posted. I think its neat/challenging to think about how to pray publicly in a way that wouldn't seem so solemn and gloomy but would make people smile and feel good.