Thursday, March 20, 2008

churchapalooza: Easter edition

"Good Friday service starts at 5:20pm and continues every 20 minutes until 7:40pm" --quote from one of the 30 church advertisements in our local paper

So, I've ludicrously decided to see how many church services I can attend between now and Easter. I have created a schedule of events and if I make all the churches I should hit 13 services, 14 if I am lucky (and can make it from one town to the next in 10 minute). Now why on earth would I do this? Because I think its fun? Because I am curious about what other denominations are doing? All of the above and more!

Let's look at the logistics of this folks. Normally going to 13 church services would take 3 months. But thanks to the obscene amount of services each church is forced to hold to appeal to various parishioners, there is somehow enough church happening to be able to squeeze 3 months of church into one weekend. If Jesus had a sense of humor, I think this might be an idea he would appreciate!

Its pretty standard for me to attend 4 church events a week these days anyway, between the methodist church and the compline service at St. John's, an emergent group that meets occasionally and a weekly Bible study. This doesn't include my Quixote activities which too often resemble churchish stuff as well.

So 13 really doesn't seem like a lot to me. Maybe you're thinking I'm a little nuts. I know I am! Nuts about understanding nuances between churches! And also nuts about the possibility of getting different understandings/ experiences of God! Its like sort of saying, "Here I am God" (x 13)

Also, if you do think I'm nuts, don't blame me, blame the churches for having 5 services each (and sometimes more). Think of the poor clergy. Why do we have to 5 different services on Sunday morning? But I'm not complaining. In fact, I'm going to attend them all!

Also, kind of inappropriately/ironically/if you have a dark sense of humor, I am seeing (for the second time) There will be Blood at a local theater tonight. I didn't plan that on purpose, the opportunity just sort of came up! Anyway its a gloomy film for a gloomy eve!

heres my crazy schedule of events. I have the day off tomorrow and then don't work on the weekend (for anyone wondering how this is possible for someone who works full time.)

Thurs. 6pm Presbyterian church (already attended)
Thurs. 7:30pm Episcopal church (headed out now!)
Thurs. 9:00pm There Will Be Blood (yep)
Friday 9am Catholic church (done)
Friday noon United Methodist church (done)
Friday 5:30pm Baptist Church (done)
Friday 7:00pm Assemblies of God (done)
Saturday morning-- other commitments yep
Saturday 5:00pm Foursquare Gospel (done)
Saturday 7:00pm United Methodist church (done)
Saturday 9:00pm different Catholic church (done)
Sunday 7:00am United Methodist cemetery service
Sunday 8:15am Church of Christ
Sunday 10:45 Church of God, Anderson IN
Sunday afternoon--dinner!!!!
Sunday 5:30pm Community/Non Denominational Church
Sunday 8pm Episcopal Church

No comments: