Friday, March 14, 2008

72 hours

During the last 72 hours of my life I was the guest speaker at a rotary club, read the book of Acts, read two chapters of Brian McClaren, read bible commentary, went to a bible class where the median age was 70, met a friend at the bar to catch up and volunteered with the homeless. I helped counsel a very disturbed person.

In the last 72 hours I kicked ass at my job, interviewed volunteers and matched two people with tutors. I randomly ended up talking to a pastor I barely knew for two hours about process theology, atonement and Girard (a theologian I hadn't heard of before), I recruited for upcoming events at work and interviewed a retired doctor, a retired teacher and observed our intern teach four different students. I created the draft for an annual publicity plan.

In the last 72 hours I let God use me and utilized my position as an advocate to petition different wonderful people I know to help a homeless man get out of a bad situation and home again. I went to a play where my non-profit was honored. I sat in a church and silently prayed the apostles creed while a stranger jammed on the piano. I compiled thank you cards for people who had given.

In the last 72 hours I did a load of laundry, fed my cats, drank 2 whole bottles of red wine and 2 mojitos and one double captain and coke (separate occasions). I texted my estranged partner that he got into graduate school (his mail still comes here and he wanted me to open it). I let my house go to hell and made piles of papers. I made a mental note to do my taxes. I thought about smoking 5 times. Hell I'm thinking about it right now. I developed a spontaneous affinity for Missy Elliott. I hurt at least one persons feelings that I know about-- a sales clerk. I deliberately was bitchy to her because she messed something up and at the time I rationalized it as being assertive. I feel such guilt over it I am going to go back and apologize, God forgive me.

I thought about drinking coffee at least 10 times. One more week to go after Sunday.

This Easter Christ is coming back from the dead with a triple almond latte for me.

[Hey Marcy, I'm going to smuggle it into the sanctuary. I've figured out a new trick and unless the bouncers actually want to frisk me, I think I'm in the clear! ]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw Mrs Harfst with a cup of coffee in the sanctuary. I assume that she just entered through the side door. Mayb you should try that if you need to have coffee in the sanctuary.

Maria said...

haha thats one trick! I realized it when I had to read scripture and went through the side door with Don. I realized I made it in my Chai in hand!

the other trick is to take in my clutch purse- it perfectly holds a coffee cup. Then when I get in i just discreet take it out.

I figure between these 2 strategies I got it covered.