Wednesday, March 12, 2008

To join or not to join

The wonderful Carol Merritt is talking about the church losing an entire generation over the GLBT ordination issue and I happen to think she's right. We have stereotypes about what church people think about gay rights, and we know they are whacked. Until an individual church debunks our stereotypes and stands up for social justice, I believe most in my generation think about Fred Phelps or other crazy people taking crazy positions of hatred against gays (and others for that matter). Something like 80 percent of people 18-30 think GLBT rights is a non issue and the majority of churches are really out of touch with this view.

As someone who dearly loves my current church and has been attending there for over a year, I am still hesitant to join as I learn more and more about their denomination's anti-gay stance on GLBT people becoming clergy and gay marriage. My particular conference is more progressive, and the southern conference is always presented and described in an apologetic to me-- I am to understand that it is their fault, their conference that holds us back. What am I to do with the following quote though? This is the equivalent to law in the Methodist church:

"Since the practice of homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching, self-avowed practicing homosexuals* are not to be accepted as candidates, ordained as ministers or appointed to serve in The United Methodist Church."
*Footnote –- "'Self-avowed practicing homosexual' is understood to mean that a person openly acknowledges to a bishop, district superintendent, district committee of ordained ministry, board of ordained ministry or clergy session that the person is a practicing homosexual."
(Book of Discipline, Par. 304.3)
Or this:
"We affirm the sanctity of the marriage covenant that is expressed in love, mutual support, personal commitment, and shared fidelity between a man and a woman...Ceremonies that celebrate homosexual unions shall not be conducted by our ministers and shall not be conducted in our churches." (From Social Principles, Par. 65C).

Most people maybe would just suggest I not become a member of the denomination. There's definitely zero pressure to join from the church itself. I just feel like I am supposed to be there. Maybe just being there and participating is good enough. I really want to join the church. I guess I should pray about it more. Does joining the church mean that I am saying I am okay with the Methodist's national anti-gay stance? Is it okay to join the church knowing from the beginning I disagree adamantly with their position on GLBT? But then how will the Methodist church ever change for the better if people who disagree with anti-gay policies don't continue to join? As I've observed, (it seems like at least that)Methodists don't like to rock the boat when it comes to this subject, and I think that's big, big mistake. This is my generation's human rights issue and 80 percent of us know it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the same concerns, and sometimes I have wondered if I should make a statement and leave this church until they eventually split over this debate and I can join the (slightly less than) half that I agree with. However, I've personally decided that I can do more good inside this church and this church does more good for me.

I'm confused, however, about your concern exclusively over "joining" the church. If you already give your prayers, your presence, your gifts, and your service...what difference does it make to "become" a member. In my mind you're already a member even if you haven't done the lame ceremony. I kinda see it in the same light as a marriage ceremony. If you're a committed pair, and act like a married couple, then the ceremony is just an act that officially announces it to your friends.

I also think that we need to acknowledge and praise other denominations that have proclaimed in their church doctrine that God loves everyone and gay love is just as wonderful as straight.

Maria said...

I think you are right about being able to do more inside the church than outside of it. I've learned that lesson with Quixote. I also feel a lot of support from the church. It's somewhat amazing that despite my desire to remain anonymous (which never changed much) I somehow was wonderfully able to meet so many people through Quixote and maybe just through hanging around long enough.

I think the church needs people like us; young, progressive adults who have two feet in the church and the rest of our being in the world. We have a very unique perspective and despite being occasionally annoyed I think the church is very opening to listening to our perspective. Even if they don't unlock the damn food bank box, at least they listened, right ;)

As far as why I want to officially join the church that is something I'd rather answer over a couple of drinks. Basically I don't know what is in the future for me, but I want to be on the books as belonging to a church. See you tomorrow, thanks for your comments on this!

Anonymous said...

That reminds me! I asked my mom about the food box and she told me a much more detailed backstory. Remind me tomorrow and I'll pass it along.

Looking forward to seeing you!

Maria said...

i think there was some hub-bub over it, maybe my complaint made the rounds... Rodger put a blurb in the newest courier about locking it and how he promises food is getting to people or something. I still think they ought to unlock the freaking thing.. but I am letting it go... taking a deep breath and ah... not thinking of it anymore :)
\

that said, still want to hear the story