Sunday, January 20, 2008

Unbelievable generosity

Yesterday a funeral home called me in the late afternoon. The family of a man who had died wanted to donate their leftover food from the funeral service to the homeless group I work with.

It was a little overwhelming to go to the funeral home.

I am fairly uncomfortable with death.

When we walked in it was just the immediate family and the caterers standing around. I felt very rude intruding on this group of people even though it wasn't really intruding since we had been invited.

I was deeply impressed by the kindness of this family and their generosity even in the midst of their grief.

To me it really felt like a reaffirmation or acknowledgement of life itself.

While I was there the funeral director told me that people usually throw away the leftover food. She asked if she could suggest the homeless group I work with as a place to donate food again.

I am constantly in awe of the kindness of people and the incredible love of God.

No comments: