Friday, January 25, 2008

"fun" facts about my personal faith journey! (the evangelical version)

"fun" fact #1
i fear that i will not be able to talk about my faith without sounding like a conservative evangelical, which, considering my deeply evangelical roots, isn't such a crazy fear!

"fun" fact #2
deep down i believe if i am not careful and/or paying very close attention, i will somehow accidentally get sucked against my will into "the ministry" something that has claimed many lives around me. many of my old friends ended up in various ministries, the range being from missionaries to ministers to what seems like perpetual grad students in theology. how closely i work with churches and church people and just large numbers of people in general-- and the insane irony of all that is not exactly lost on me either. as the old hymn goes, sometimes, it causes me to tremble, tremble

"fun" fact #3
i dont like the old testament. how can someone who doesnt like to read the bible be called to do anything.? see!

"fun" fact #4
Honestly I don't know what God wants me to do. I feel like God wants me to do something and I am hoping it is something really normal, like being a good low maintenance church member and not annoying too many people. I deeply hope that I have the gift of "helping people" because I do so deeply enjoy helping people and then I can just help other people do whatever they are supposed to do

"fun" fact #5
people don't really respect me very much. maybe this is because i haven't tried hard enough to edit my speech so people will think i am worth listening to. i don't really have anything interesting to say. i think ultimately i need to submit to whatever God wants (not my perception of what God wants) and then have faith i will find out what that is. I don't think it is so much whatever God wants to me do right now as it is trying to be less strong willed and more in line with the spirit of Christ if that makes sense.


too much weird jargon? quick, go look at kittens

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"claimed many lives around me"

This cracks me up, even though I know what you mean.

"i dont like the old testament."

Other than the Jews, who does? That's why Jesus made the New Testament, so we'd have something better to read. (mildly sarcastic)

"people don't really respect me very much."

This is simply not true. People quiet down when you speak, they ask about you when you're not around, they remember things you've said and repeat them to me. Seriously, you're respected.

Maria said...

I think we need to hang out before you take off for NZ! I am planning on maybe going awol on the 1st, before that I am doing the overflow shelter on Weds night the 30th, so lets work out a night other than that next week. can't wait to do the dress bit sunday ;) m