Thursday, January 24, 2008

my likely agist rant that has been building up

(This depicts how the greatest generation views people in their 20s and 30s. Enjoy!)

So the other day I saw Jim Wallis on the Daily Show. Anyway, I was watching it with Evan and suddenly became pretty nervous about what Wallis would say and how he would act. By no means am I criticizing this guy. However, while he was talking about "the younger generation" I couldn't help but wonder why they hell Jim Wallis has to be the one talking about it. I mean good job Jim, but couldn't you get the spotlight and then pass it off to one of your interns or someone who might actually be-- I don't know-- PART OF THE GENERATION YOU ARE SO HAPPY TO TALK ABOUT.

I know he just wrote a book and has established himself as this giant figurehead in the movement, but
why are most the new Christian and many of the emerging folk spokespeople 50 + years old and let me play that broken record of whiteness and maleness just once?! Don't get me wrong, older people are great and 50 isn't that old anyway. In fact, I am trying very hard to follow Carol Merritt's advice about the need for intergenerational relationships in the church.

However, I am getting really tired of seeing "older people" tell "young people" what their generation is doing, feeling, etcetera, making comments about how "young people" dont get whatever they think they don't get, how young people don't appreciate whatever they think they don't appreciate. Man. My entire life is filled up with busyness, struggle, joys, grief and all complexity, I have a good job and spend my days actually passing as a professional, but get me in a committee meeting with a bunch of "older folks" and suddenly I am still a girl, inexperienced, unable to speak with any kind of voice.

And the sad truth is, I don't want to speak. It's a convenient relationship for all parties!

No comments: