Tuesday, January 22, 2008

miscellaneous

The last week or so I have been having dreams about church. Luckily though I personally have yet to actually fall asleep and snore and dream in church while the service is still going on--though not laughing when others around me do is fairly challenging, to say the least.

Anyway in the first dream I was sitting in my church and realized that the main part of the sanctuary was empty. Then I heard noise, looked up and saw that the balcony was completely full with people, all of them doing their own thing (ie seeming to have their own worship service happening).

I thought I was alone in the main part of the sanctuary, but when I surveyed the scene more carefully, I saw that in fact there were other people there that I knew. When I woke up I thought this dream was probably about my own self-imposed alienation and how I have been such a loner at my church until these last few months.

The second dream was that I was at a church with Evan, but it was an even bigger crowd. I still thought it was my church though because one of the ministers was the same. We were sitting in the very back and it was completely filled with people. I could barely see the platform because the space was so large and crowded.

The third dream was that I wanted to meet my friend Lisa in Portland. Lisa and I were college roommates at Warner. She ended up going into the ministry and then the Lutheran church snagged her up. She is the person that introduced me to the emerging church movement, almost 4 years ago now. Anyway in the dream we were trying to coordinate our schedules (something we have also been doing in the non-dream world). I told her I was going to the beach and I wanted to meet her on the way there or back. Then the conversation suddenly turned into how to organize a compline service on the beach.

The end.

No comments: