Wednesday, May 28, 2008

boy drama subsiding, life continues at a fever pitch.

I really don't know how I found time to have such an unusually large amount of boy drama in my life the last couple of months. Hmm. In sum: Just when I thought I was out.....

In other news having 3 different calendars finally caught up with me today and I found myself needing to be in 3 places at once. Handled it ok: jobs first then church. I missed the committee meeting by two hours, but at least everyone was understanding. I really thought there was a chance the meeting might still actually be going on at 8:30pm at night, but I guess fortunately for the other committee members, it wasn't!

Found time to catch up on some of my bible reading. Made it through Amos, Jonah and almost through Hosea. Probably the neatest thing was realizing the emphasis on communities and anti-violence in Amos. Through out that whole book God is pissed off because people are killing each other, robbing the poor, and celebrating while it is happening. I don't know what has changed, but this time reading through God seemed merciful instead of vengeful. An unusual experience for me. Normally when I read the Old Testament I do not leave with a nice impression of God.

Also I have been reading with the idea that scripture is the way people back then tried to interpret all kinds of events around them: political, environmental events, wars etc. A lot of times the writers conclude God is doing something, and then try to guess why from within their religious paradigms. It's just neat to read it that way.

Jonah was also cool when I realized the point wasn't about some stupid hypothetical whale (and that dumb whale only takes up 3 verses, which if you ignore, totally improves the story!), but about God's mercy. Jonah actually seems like kind of a jerk. Anyway, there's an update on my "spiritual life". Maybe I shouldn't box it off from the rest of my life.

I am so exhausted!

No comments: