Monday, February 4, 2008

Time to unsuccessfully try giving something up!

when i was a kid my grandpa would go to the Polish bakery and get Paczkis, and bring them to my mom's house the day before Lent on Fat Tuesday. That whole side of the family was Catholic, and my mom always gave something up.

Most years I have also given something up, or alternately, cut my hair on Ash Wednesday. Without thinking too much about it, I have sort of gotten into an every-other-year routine. Last year I gave up cigarettes. That lasted about a week. The year before that I cut my hair. The year before that I gave up coca-cola (lasted about a month) and the year before that I cut my hair. I can't remember what I gave up before that. One year I said I was giving up God. O Boy.

This year I cut my hair at Christmas, so I guess I should give something up.

I already gave up smokes. 6 months last week, yippee.

I don't think I could part with wine.

I could give up eating out, that could save me a lot of cash.

Coffee is too important to my sanity. Maybe I could give up just one form of caffiene, like Dr. Pepper.

Man, something is screwed up about sitting here thinking of an "of medium importance thing" (to me), to give up. Why am I giving up anything anyway? Its like a sham from the beginning if I am already looking for an easy thing.

TO BE CONTINUED

No comments: