Thursday, February 7, 2008

caffeine, churches and

This morning I had a headache that was so intense I could hardly think. It immediately went away when I had an energy drink. I never realized how much caffiene I ingest on a daily basis. I knew it was a lot, but I didn't think I would actually have physical side effects.

Today was actually a pretty crazy day. I drove out into the boonies to a ministers meeting I had been invited to attend to talk about the literacy program we are trying to reenergize in the county. I had no idea what I was walking into-- turned out to be a converted barn miles from civilization. It was noon on a Thursday and there were people in the sanctuary jumping up and down and dancing. This guy was "in the spirit" some actually painting really incredible art. Yeah.


Luckily the Lutheran pastor warned me right before we left that they were "into music" at this particular church. Still that couldn't really prepare me for the surprises that lay ahead! Apparently this meeting moves from church to church. When the meeting happened there were ten pastors. I was the only woman there. That's okay. What the hell is feminism for if not moments like that, right? I had hoped at least one of these pastors would be a woman, but thats okay. Its a rural area, right?

All the while we had lunch upstaits we could hear the worship service going on, screaming the whole deal. I was trying to talk about helping people who can't read and in the background I hear this woman yelling "okay Jesus!!!!!" The pastor of the church said he had been cured of cancer in the sanctuary. Everyone seemed more subdued though for the most part.

I really couldn't believe I was there. It was good in the end though, I really was able to hear what their congregation and community seems to need as far as literacy services and two of the pastors invited me to speak to their congregations.

Also I can't lie, it was interesting as hell and I was really glad to be there for other reasons besides my job.

That said, if I had this job a year ago, I would not have been able to handle today. I would've freaked out and left. So I'm glad I have relative peace with God.

So that was my day! I wish it was the weekend so I could leave town. I am thinking about canceling my afternoon appointments tomorrow and going somewhere to think. I don't know why I think I have to go somewhere to think. Maybe its just a way of getting away from all this intense seeming stuff around me.

No comments: