Tuesday, November 20, 2007

michigan

The weather here is simillar to what we left in Washington, minus some of the rain. The skies are grey and the majority of the leaves have fallen. No snow yet.

I don't know if I blogged about this or not, but at the end of last month my stepdad was tboned pulling out of my mom's drive way. It totalled their Explorer. My stepdad was miraculously uninjured. So two week's ago my mom bought a used Taurus. It died on her on her way to pick my partner and I up from the airport. Things worked out though. They borrowed a car from someone and we didn't have to wait very long. Now mom's car is at the shop, probably at least until we leave. It was the transmission.

The guy that sold it to her told her that he was "going to be the first car salesman to get into heaven".

So these last two days I have sort of been thinking about what a low down guy this person must be. Well today she called him and told him what happened. To my suprise he actually offered to pay for most of the cost. Maybe he will be the first car salesman in heaven.

It is strange to be back here, back home. Last night when I was laying in bed I kept thinking to myself what a dream my life back in the northwest seems like from here. I kept thinking to myself: Did I really graduate college, am I really going to a church that is granting sanctuary to a homeless camp, am I really part of making this camp work, how is all of this possible?

Then I started thinking about how I actually got out of this place, how I actually made it out of here. I started thinking about the different people that saved me, that helped all of us survive. If things hadn't happened exactly like they did, I wouldn't be where I am today.

I really want to start writing out my story.

Well, I am on dial-up internet here, tying up the phone line, so I better go. I am hoping to be able to go to my old church this weekend. I may have to drive my step-dad's 1960-something manual transmission pickup the five miles there though. The good news is that I can actually drive a truck like that. I really want to go and see who is still around.

Ten years ago this coming Sunday I was baptized in that church. I remember going down under the water thinking it should mean something.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cant believe I've been back here 6 months...and have survived! I can't imagine what it's like for you to be back in this place. I hope you enjoy the time with your family...and I also hope you share more of this story that you started in this post. It was good, but ended and then I was sad :(

Anyway, the Hand welcomes you back my child ;)
-jeremy

Maria said...

Thanks! I cannot believe the economy is actually worse than it was when I left back in 2004. Pretty much everyone here that I know is either underemployed or out of work. There has been a mass exodus in this area, with everyone our age and younger leaving the state. This was especially noticeable on my sister's plane from the DC area. She said everyone she talked to on the way into Detroit was a Michigan native that had abandoned the state in order to get a job.

I am glad the beginning of my story was interesting. Sometimes I just ramble on in an effort to write out /remember details. I know that can be quite boring so i am glad the beginning of this was different! take care of yourself, -maria