Tuesday, August 19, 2008

life

Things have been very busy. My sister is visiting from Virginia and I had a couple of days off last week to have fun with her. We went to Mt Rainier over the weekend and managed to escape the recent blistering heat (that has thankfully subsided into the usual oddly wonderful rain). It was great to explore all of the park and go up to the Sunrise area, as I had never been there before. We briefly contemplated jumping off cliffs into the Ohanapechosh river, but hadn't brought a change of clothes and ultimately decided to forgo that adventure this time around. It was still very nice and good to spend time with her.

On Sunday I went and got the dog, Honey, from one of the several houses I am watching right now, and piled into my brother's 86 Honda with my sister, brother and of course, Honey. We headed up to Lower Lena. It was fun to have Honey with us and wonderful to be able to hike with her off leash. As we hiked we heard nearby rare thunderstorms in the distance, which I really appreciated. I still miss thunderstorms considerably. Later in the evening Liz and I went to the compline service at the episcopal church here in town. I don't think I will ever get over how calming, peaceful and angelic that service is. I always feel strengthened afterwards, and I love to have that chance each week to admit my shortcomings before God while still feeling so much of what I can only describe as divine love. It's transformational to be able to hear the message of God's grace sung out like that, every week. I am very thankful for it.

Monday it was back to work, and I really threw myself into things trying to get a large mailing done, having to secure a venue at the last minute for a recognition event when the original venue fell through. I was actually saved by the Methodist church. When I called to see if we could book the space, I was surprised to learn that their secretary knew me as "mosaic Maria" from our small group/ emergent gathering we had been having weekly until June when everyone decided to take a break and spend some time re-imagining our purpose and focus. Anyway, today when I was able to confirm that space for the event I was so very much thankful and happy and felt really blessed for those friendships.

Today was more work, looking over a grant narrative, interviewing 2 volunteers, driving to Hoodsport (what a beautiful trip) and then back to Shelton for a staff meeting. My director sent me an email confirming my full time status for the time being. What she doesn't know is that I was offered and turned down a 3/4 time position as a caseworker in Olympia. The pay was a little better, but it was 3/4 times-- though they had a decent benefits package. When my hours were cut in June, I thought about leaving, but really wanted to stay. On a whim I only applied to one place in July-- to a local social services agency. Right after I applied our other coordinator unexpectedly quit and my hours were put back to full time. Two weeks later I was called in for an interview and offered the position at the beginning of August. Time goes by so fast.

Here are my desires right now: To work at my current job as close to full time as possible, for as long as possible. I simply love my job. I never wanted to leave, even when my hours were cut, but I really need to make a certain amount of money. In the end though, I am glad I stayed. I really respect and admire my director and I know she is looking for more grant money to try and extend my hours in this county. I am trying to have faith, because what I really want right now is to stay at my current job.

If I go back down to less than 30-35 hours, I am not sure what I will do. My second choice is to study theology. My third choice is to work for a social services agency. Anyway enough about work for now.

Tomorrow is the Radiohead concert with Liz. I can't believe its tomorrow! I havent really let it sink in yet, but I am so excited!!! Thursday is Denise's funeral. Friday is an ESL training, along with Saturday (and before the training I will take Liz back to Seatac).

One week from tomorrow I will be 27. Time goes by so fast.

No comments: