Tuesday, August 5, 2008

CHURCHINESS

Funny thing happened at church last Sunday. I was up in the balcony, singing the last song before communion. As the song ended and everyone started to get ready to take communion, I noticed the volunteer servers attempting to serve the folks that are responsible for running all the sound equipment first. Nothing seemed wrong with this. I've been on the balcony for communion before and serving them first certainly didn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary.

Yet suddenly and dramatically just as the servers were offering the bread and wine, this older crotchety fellow started raising his voice at the servers, saying "no! no!" The servers didn't hear them above the organ music. "NO!" he yelled, even louder continuing, "WE START OVER HERE!!" he said really meanly as the shocked communion servers looked visibly startled. He pointed at me and said "YOU! NOW!" I was equally shocked, but stood up-- I was sitting in the very last row and it was clear the show wasn't going to go on (and indeed at this point it felt like a "show") until the servers complied and stopped their attempt to feed the sound people first. So, I walked down to the very hurt and frightened looking servers and as they served me communion I tried to tell them it was ok, they were doing great and not to listen to that guy. The whole incident was really...well....CHURCHY.

No comments: