Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Kyrie eleison

Someone made a comment to me the other day about how missionary work is an extension of cultural imperialism. The person was actually critiquing the church, Christianity and evangelism in general and I was trying to explain that not all Christians are nuts. (Actually I never thought that I would actually be sitting around defending Christianity to someone. Maybe I am the one that has gone nuts.)

Well anyway what if instead of "winning people for Christ" Christians just literally fed people food?! Real food, not metaphorical "food for the soul"!? What a radical idea! What if "missionaries" primary function was selflessly giving to others like Christ and not trying to indoctrinate people with their particular denominational religious doctrines and overall BS?!

Is "funneling people into the (Christian) church" what God wants? Wouldn't God rather have healed, loving, justice seeking communities of people that cared about each other and didn't continue to create more pain?! ISN'T THAT WHAT THE CHURCH WAS SUPPOSED TO BE?

Now I know there are Christians out there doing this already, and these are the Christians I was trying to stick up for. Even so there are other ways besides the Christian way, and there is such a multiplicity of "ways" within the "Christian way" that people ought to be able to let go of absolutisms and capital T Truth, and the evangelical aspect of Christianity.
Let it go! Believe what you want! Help people!

I'm not saying that out of anything but love and respect for other people's views! Does it really matter if the values are still the same? If the end result is still seeking after justice... though I know there are different ideas as to what constitutes "justice"... its very complex..But to get back to the main emphasis of this rant: Why are there missionaries spread out all over the world "evangelizing" and then reporting back to church "who's who" for Christ? It's sick! Why don't they ever talk about who they fed, clothed and loved without religious dogma? Is "winning people for Christ" the primary function, the ultimate goal of church, of missionaries? Or is it loving people unconditionally?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have totally had these thoughts myself. Missionary is term that has two different definitions:

1) A person who goes out in the world to convert people who might not have heard of Christianity

2) A person who goes out in the world to help people the way they think a Christian should.

I personally am fairly strongly anti evangelism so I strongly prefer type 2 to type 1.

Who am I to tell others what to think? I know what works for me, and if asked quietly, I might be willing to share my views. But generally, I keep this part of my life quiet.

I just hope that my attempt at good works reflect well on myself and my religion. I hope that my life helps some people to think "Hey, maybe Christianity isn't all that bad."