Friday, October 19, 2007

disciple-making the what!

sometimes lately i find myself tempted to pause at whatever unexpected juncture i find myself approaching and sometimes casually, sometimes seriously, wonder just what the hell i am doing. as i become more acquainted with the current events and language of the emergent church, sometimes i feel like i am being scammed through a back door straight into the evangelical community. does anyone else in the blogosphere have an opinion about "emergent" strategies being utilized as "evangelical tactics" in mainstream churches? Is that already happening? I don't know, I haven't scanned that particular book shelf in Borders long enough to know.

i'm still just not sure how i feel about pushing Jesus on other people, especially pushing Jesus on people in some clandestine way and also just general talk about what Jesus needs to do whatever on and on... my blood pressure rises everytime someone starts talking in churchspeak (the opposite of tongues) about what Jesus wants etcetera.

so there are three branches of "emergents": the relevant, the reformed and the revisionists. I guess I would fall into the category that crazy Mark Driscoll suggests are heretics, except that i am actually possibly a heretic. Also I think I may be going to a church that wants to eventually draw in people using "relevant" type worship strategies. (If all this lingo is driving you crazy, that's a good sign you are still normal!)

How is all this categorizing and evangelizing any different than the traditional church? I was talking last night to someone about watching the emergent church folks bicker online in various blogs and how thats really not any different than passive aggressive cat-fights at church meetings. I guess at least when you are bitching on your blog you can eat toffee nuts liberally at the same time! (At least I do!)

Blah/Maybe its the weather! here's a good site that always helps me counter the gloom

1 comment:

Heidi Renee said...

I call those kind of emergent churches "the modern church in drag" - lots of candles, swearing, beer & tattoos - but not much else changes.